1.How does TMS work?
TMS therapy uses short magnetic field pulses to stimulate areas of the brain considered to function differently in patients with depression, tinnitus, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) or schizophrenia, etc. The magnetic field generates an electrical current in the brain that stimulates the brain cells (neurons). This results in changes in the brain that are believed to be beneficial for treating these conditions.
2.How do we guarantee the quality of our services?
By being totaly transparent about our extensive and high training and experience as well as providing modern and certified medical equipment.
We are proud to be pioneers in bringing the latest scientifically approved developments in this field, in Greece.
3.Can Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) be applied to other diseases?
TMS has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Agency (EMA) for the treatment of resistant depression. It has also been CE certified to meet all European standards for conditions other than severe depression.
In research phase, it is successfully tested, with positive results, in other psychiatric (resilient form of acoustic hallucinations, post traumatic stress, obsessive compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder), neurological disorders (epilepsy, tinnitus, migraine, brain disorders / other cognitive impairments), other disorders (fibromyalgia), autistic spectrum disorders and addiction.
4. What are the potential side effects of TMS?
It is scientifically proven as a safe method of treatment and has received the necessary certifications as to be clinically applicable. Of the 10,000 active treatments performed in clinical trials, the most commonly reported side effect were skull pressure or discomfort during application. These side effects were generally mild to moderate and occurred less frequently after the first week of treatment. Less than 5% of patients had to interrupt the treatment due to adverse reactions. According to clinical studies, the risk of potential seizures is not greater than the one during antidepressant medication.
5.Can TMS cause cancer?
Absolutely not! It uses the same type and power of magnetic fields as MRIs (Magnetic Resonance Imaging), which have been used for tens of millions of patients worldwide and have not been proven to cause tumors. The magnetic energy used in a full course of TMS therapy is only a small fraction of a brain scan with a magnetic resonance imaging scan.
6. Can I receive my psychiatric medication during this treatment?
In clinical trials, it was safely administered with and without pre-existing medication.
7. How is your first visit?
The first quarter of the visit involves creating your own electronic file, registring your exams, and getting you informed by the medical team. After that, you will meet the doctor / scientific director where your fully history record, cognitive function assessment, clinical examination, psychometrics, evaluation, and in agreement with the patient, choice of treatment regiment will be made.
Our private practice offers psychotherapy, counseling, psychotherapy, transcranial magnetic stimulation, HRVT.
8.What do we expect from our patient?
1. Keep the scheduled visit time. We understand that some patients may feel embarrassed or anxious, phobic, hypertensive when in the waiting room with others. For this reason we make sure that we cautiously plan the visits so that you feel comfortable and safe in our office.
2. Do not get detached by your mobile / tablet. Respect the place. Do not smoke. We do not tolerate any form of violence (verbal, physical) or threat. In such cases, the provision of services is directly and permanently interrupted.
3. Be prepared for the reason you are addressing to us. If possible, report clearly to the secretariat, by telephone / e-mail, the questions you would like to discuss with your physician during your first visit. Many times we forget some issues that concern us when visiting our doctor. We do our best that you will not leave with unanswered questions, concerns and that you will not leave with the feeling that you have forgotten something.
4. Please have your medical record with you with all the diagnoses, opinions, recent / past diagnostic tests (eg hematology, imaging, etc.). Even if you find it unrelated, it may be valuable for the manegement of the condition. You will not need to bring them again.
5. Provide genuine information throughout the visit / treatment. Otherwise we will not be able to help you and your time will pass by. We focus on mutual trust, transparency and confidentiality.